PDA

View Full Version : Testing Waters: Ibanez Jem 777 reissue

Jesse
02-26-2016, 12:09 PM
THERE IS NOTHING HAPPENING YET

I emailed Dave at XLG about doing a lefty reissue of the original Jem, 777 lefty desert sun yellow. He emailed his contact and is waiting to hear back. Is there anyone that would 100% be in on this? I know I am, but I'm trying to gauge interest so we can possibly nudge Ibanez with some stats.

I am going on the record saying that I will put money down for this guitar right now. :headbang;

beneharris
02-26-2016, 12:24 PM
If it were reasonably priced I'd be down. I'd give my left nut for a real Jem. As long as its not a $3500 reissue or some shit, I'd put money down.

beneharris
02-26-2016, 12:28 PM
If they decided they'd be willing to do a few of each color, I'd sell my house for one in the Shocking Pink.

jjcor
02-26-2016, 01:10 PM
Depending on price I would be in.

Jesse
02-26-2016, 06:30 PM
Response from Ibanez... "no chance". Seriously, fuck them. I'll have a knockoff made.

Jesse
02-26-2016, 06:31 PM
Oops, "replica"

manini
02-26-2016, 07:22 PM
Just curious... is this why Ibanez hates us lefties so much?

From wikipedia:

"Many Asian countries encourage or force their children to become right-handed due to cultural perceptions of bad luck associated with the left hand. In India and Indonesia, it is considered rude to eat with the left hand.[28] In a 2007 study in Taiwan, 59.3% of children studied had been forced to convert from left-handedness to right-handedness. The study took into account economic status of the children's families and found that children whose parents had less education were more likely to be forced to convert. Even among children whose parents had higher levels of education, the conversion rate was 45.7%.[38] Among naturally left-handed Japanese senior high school students, only 0.7% and 1.7% of individuals used their left hand for writing and eating, respectively,[39] though young Japanese are more likely to convert to using chopsticks right-handed than forks or spoons (29.3% to 4.6%). The proportion of females subjected to forced conversion is significantly higher compared to males (95.1% to 81.0%).[3]"

Or is just that they're straight up dicks.

Jesse
02-26-2016, 07:57 PM
Does anyone remember the company making "tribute" JEM guitars that took forever to build? I can't find it online, wtf Was it Perle? Sims? Someone else?

lostinthemasses
02-26-2016, 08:10 PM
Ed Roman

Jesse
02-26-2016, 08:17 PM
lol no, he's been dead for years. I was dealing with one of these guys recently, but people were warning about build times. He couldn't guarantee anything because he's so busy or something. The guitars were spec-to-spec replicas, and I want one now.

Chinchilla Lefty
02-26-2016, 09:16 PM
Yowza, I would have had my name on the board for one of those! Typical : ( I've been thinking of customising my 92 RG550 into one but the cost is about 1000 to get it done properly (pyramid neck from perle, bodywork for lions claw and handle, respray, headstock decal, knobs, paf pickups) I plan to use the rg550 body, pots and trem and will strip the original neck for other parts (gotoh tuners, locking nuts etc) and its still damn expensive! Would be an amazing guitar to have though and one of the closest we are going to get it seems : ( Thanks for trying Jesse! Wish I knew the name of the company!

Dirtdog
02-26-2016, 09:48 PM
that would have been really cool. I remember the dude from shotgun messiah played one as well. Cool dude weird tunes like bop city and stuff typical eighties name

Jesse
02-26-2016, 10:59 PM
that would have been really cool. I remember the dude from shotgun messiah played one as well. Cool dude weird tunes like bop city and stuff typical eighties name

Shout it out had great guitars and use of Floyd flutter

Zippin44
03-05-2016, 01:20 AM
Just curious... is this why Ibanez hates us lefties so much?

From wikipedia:

"Many Asian countries encourage or force their children to become right-handed due to cultural perceptions of bad luck associated with the left hand. In India and Indonesia, it is considered rude to eat with the left hand.[28] In a 2007 study in Taiwan, 59.3% of children studied had been forced to convert from left-handedness to right-handedness. The study took into account economic status of the children's families and found that children whose parents had less education were more likely to be forced to convert. Even among children whose parents had higher levels of education, the conversion rate was 45.7%.[38] Among naturally left-handed Japanese senior high school students, only 0.7% and 1.7% of individuals used their left hand for writing and eating, respectively,[39] though young Japanese are more likely to convert to using chopsticks right-handed than forks or spoons (29.3% to 4.6%). The proportion of females subjected to forced conversion is significantly higher compared to males (95.1% to 81.0%).[3]"

Or is just that they're straight up dicks.

Well I guess it's a good thing that these stone age cultures are evolving some. They used to just kill you if you used the Sinister left hand.

"59.3% of children studied had been forced to convert from left to right handedness" that statistic is virtually meaningless. 40% voluntarily converted?

Zippin44
03-05-2016, 01:24 AM
Oops, "replica"

I'd be in for a good replica. Ibanez douchetards clearly aren't interested in me or my business.

Jesse
03-05-2016, 08:21 AM
I'd be in for a good replica. Ibanez douchetards clearly aren't interested in me or my business.

It truly is ridiculous. I just wish I knew who made them, I still think it's perle but he probably had to stop advertising it.

"Hey, stop making guitars we refuse to make!"

beneharris
03-05-2016, 10:13 AM
So I don't know how much he would do, but I've dealt with Chris Mai of Mai Guitars before, he does great work. I know he makes ibanez bodies but i dont know if he could do a replica like that. Might be worth hitting him up.

LEFTYGUITARFREAK
03-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Sims also does original JEM 777 replicas. However, as of last year, Patrick Sims will no longer place the Ibanez Logo on the build because IBANEZ will sue him. I ordered a green lefty JEM 777 from him last year.

WARNING: There is probably a very good chance I will NEVER see the $2,300 JEM that I ordered from Patrick Sims last year. He will quote you 4 months......he will ask for half the money upfront, then you'll never hear from him unless he needs something (like more money, which yes he asked for and my dumb ass gave him $300 more dollars and the Edge Trem to go on the guitar). You will have to practically break down his door to get status updates.

Now, well over a year later, still no guitar. Still no status update on where we are on the project, or what the new ETA is. He basically takes your money, runs, then only gives you an answer if you're lucky after begging for an update for weeks if not months.

Check his BBB rating. It's a disaster. I'm going to give him a little longer, then I may have to take him to court to get my money back.

It's a damn shame. From what I hear, he makes a very good product.....but DAMN he's a horrible HORRIBLE business man.

Jesse
03-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Not a confidence-inspiring review lol

Zippin44
03-05-2016, 10:23 PM
I collect knives and there are many custom makers. A custom knife maker would never dream of asking for a partial payment up front. Never. In fact, if a custom maker asks for money up front it would kill the deal. It just doesn't work that way. Up front payments cause way too many problems.

Jesse
03-06-2016, 10:12 AM
I read up on Sims, but his work appears to be the best. Sent him an email with a proposal with very specific demands (deadline dates, phone contact, etc.). Subtly noted that I was an attorney. Will see how he responds.

beneharris
03-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Read the Sims horror stories before you commit, Jesse.

Jesse
03-06-2016, 11:15 AM
He denied that he makes them lol, oh well!

LEFTYGUITARFREAK
03-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Not a confidence-inspiring review lol

Then it did its job 😂 Learn from my mistake.
Ha! You should have little to no confidence in Sims/Patrick Sims. There is a very good chance he ripped me off.....we shall see. If he comes through, then I will write very positive reviews online and praise him. However, I highly doubt that will happen. He is not a professional in any way when it comes to how to properly treat paying customers. Very expensive lesson learned. Very possible future legal action.

LEFTYGUITARFREAK
03-06-2016, 02:44 PM
He denied that he makes them lol, oh well!

He probably doesn't make them anymore.....but when him and I "did business together" last year, he sure did make them. I am surprised he's still in business and hasn't been sued to death (not by Ibanez......by his "customers" that he fucks).

cosmic_ape
03-09-2016, 12:04 PM
Could you be talking about Cristopher Woods by any chance? I never did business with the guy, buy it seems he is serious about JEM replicas:

http://www.christopherwoodsguitar.com/instruments/custom-shop/ewExternalFiles/Acrylic-Jem0172.JPG

http://www.christopherwoodsguitar.com/instruments/custom-shop/ewExternalFiles/Christopher%20Woods%20Guitar-Jem%20Passion%20and%20Warfare%20Steve%20Vai%20143. jpg

DaveGH
10-12-2017, 07:46 PM
has there ever been one of these in lefty? It looks so awesome! I like this specific version... thanks
The only lefty ones i've seen are the white ones for like $550. I have no desire for a neon , loud guitar but this is very cool.

superheavydeathmetal
10-12-2017, 09:12 PM
What is the difference between what you were asking for in the original post and the JEM777 that is being released son?

Jesse
10-12-2017, 10:43 PM
What is the difference between what you were asking for in the original post and the JEM777 that is being released son?

absolutely nothing!