PDA

View Full Version : Gretsch G5135-CVT Corvette Demo...

cosmic_ape
09-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Jerry, you may not get this one back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1-qvYyvTbY

cosmic_ape
09-25-2015, 03:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUoXWnWBHzk

beneharris
09-25-2015, 10:50 AM
Nice playing. Very Pink Floydy. I assume you like the guitar?

Lefty
09-26-2015, 09:08 AM
Effing sweet playing, Brotha! You've got GAS, huh? :band:

cosmic_ape
09-26-2015, 06:57 PM
Nice playing. Very Pink Floydy. I assume you like the guitar?

I am really digging this guitar! I may get one of the red ones, though. I'd like to see the mahogany!

beneharris
09-26-2015, 11:26 PM
I am really digging this guitar! I may get one of the red ones, though. I'd like to see the mahogany!

Ah, so that one was a demo? Yeah, I like the red one more, too. I like seeing the wood grain.

ch willie
09-27-2015, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the demo!!! These guitars intrigue me.

It's hard for me to tell over my speakers, but how does it compare to something like an SG or a Les Paul in terms of tone? Is it possible to get a good thick Cream-y tone from the neck, good crinkle on the bridge? Or does it sound more jangly?

cosmic_ape
09-28-2015, 12:52 AM
I am trying to get a hold to a SG to do a direct comparison. As for aesthetics and fit, it is on SG territory. Sound wise, I've read they are compared to Rics. Not too sure about that.

I happen to prefer these Mega Tron pickups, though. I think they add a little extra sparkle, chime if you will, to the tone. Especially when playing with overdrive. Listen to the demo part around 3:30, when I start playing chords with distortion. There is a little extra note definition present. If you've played a neck humbucker on a Gibson, you know most of them are mud city! Then I learned these pickups are only available on this model. It's got something to do with this guitar being a solid body, unlike most Gretsch models.

Reading about it, the Mega Tron is a hot wound Filtertron. So, you get a little bit of that jangle, but also a little bit of humbucker there. I have only played a Gretsch with Filtertrons once, so I will not venture to compare them. It's been too long.

I assume the SG will sound a little different than the CVT. The SG may have more punch, but the CVT will be clearer. Maybe.

I can directly compare it to a LP tomorrow. Stay tuned!

ch willie
09-28-2015, 06:30 AM
Wow, thanks for the review. Now I'm really interested in these guitars. I've been to Jerry's site and looked at them quite a few times. Just can't buy right now.

cosmic_ape
09-29-2015, 12:20 PM
Layaway is your friend, my man!

ch willie
09-29-2015, 03:59 PM
I would, but I've got a bigger boner for a Gibson 335 or a Les Paul 59 reissue. I'm fooling myself that I can get those tones from anything "lesser." Also, it's a matter of what I grew up seeing and hearing. I'm leaning toward the 335 because it's so versatile. Yes, I know Gibson isn't the greatest any longer, but the heart wants what the heart wants...

leftrb
09-29-2015, 04:34 PM
I would, but I've got a bigger boner for a Gibson 335 or a Les Paul 59 reissue. I'm fooling myself that I can get those tones from anything "lesser." Also, it's a matter of what I grew up seeing and hearing. I'm leaning toward the 335 because it's so versatile. Yes, I know Gibson isn't the greatest any longer, but the heart wants what the heart wants...

The Japanese Tokai 335's are pretty nice looking and much cheaper.

cosmic_ape
09-29-2015, 07:14 PM

If you're gonna spend that kind of dough on a 335, I'd suggest you check out a Collings I-35LC! I've played one before. It's on my list!