PDA

View Full Version : "Ibanez" ICJ100WZ Review

Jesse
08-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Here is my much-awaited review!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJd7q2hx2g4&feature=youtu.be

metalchurch
08-03-2013, 04:16 PM
It hink that is a really nice guitar that you got there. I would prob look into swapping the pups for something. Maybe Blk/Grn Zebra DiMarzio's or something.
Also, Id like to add that your Gibson is no slouch either. Thats the first I ever heard one in action and I must say that I was very impressed. Id almost be tempted to say that the Gibson walked all over the Iceman, but I think that if you were to swap pups then it would be a whole different ball game.
Thanks for the review of those guitars, that was very cool of you to share that with us. I always enjoy the vids you post..

Mr.9 Fingers
08-03-2013, 05:23 PM
I'd lay money that the pickups between the 2 aren't all that dissimilar. LPJ's have low output wind alnico 2 based pickups in them. Those Wilkinson's are prob near the same but prob w/ an A5 or ceramic magnet in them. Some of the Wilkinson pickups I've heard aren't that bad and I believe they are also who winds all of GFS's pickups. Wilkinson is also mainly produced by Gotoh these days if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know what Jesse gave for the guitar, but it don't look like he's disappointed with it at all. New Floyd and some pickups and it's good. For the Floyd, hit up Chet here on the forum CAFeathers I think? He can probably get you a decent deal on a chrome Gotoh brand Floyd. Gotoh makes the Edge series bridges for Ibanez and their own "lic" design is better than the OFR in my experience. They also use the flat end design to allow some variance in post placement, which you might run into. If you want to double check to be sure, hit me up. I've got a cosmo black one chilling at the moment.

Thor827
08-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Great review as always!

beneharris
08-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Good review, Jesse. I heard you say you might throw an Edge in there. I don't think that you can. You're gonna have to go with some sort of Floyd. An OFR should be a drop in, though.

MetalDaze
08-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Best line..."Screw you Ibanez. This is your fault." :D:D

Jesse
08-04-2013, 01:59 AM
If they won't make it lefty, someone else will. Fuck em

greenblob
08-04-2013, 02:42 AM
good review Jesse... not my kind of guitar now days... but I have a huge soft spot for WhiteZ.... I bought my 1st slide not for blues.. but to jam on "more human than human"....

Cmartin
08-04-2013, 07:41 AM
I really like that guitar! Nice review too, thanks- you probably said somewhere before but if you don't mind, how much did it set you back?

Jesse
08-04-2013, 08:55 AM
I think it was like $400+ change shipped with the hard case. Hard to beat at that price, even if you need to swap pups

Jesse
08-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Good review, Jesse. I heard you say you might throw an Edge in there. I don't think that you can. You're gonna have to go with some sort of Floyd. An OFR should be a drop in, though.

To be honest I'd probably just block it. I'm slowly gravitating towards fixed bridges these days (shame on me!)

Olav
08-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Good review there from our Fearless Leader. Sounded like the guitar sustains good, that's a plus anytime. The fact you're even contemplating swapping the pups must mean it's not a POS. Congrats J, way to 'take one for the team'.

Jesse
08-05-2013, 08:53 AM
definitely not a POS. One thing I didn't mention, though, was that the locking nut metal seems pretty soft. I'd imagine its really easy to over tighten it or even strip them.

Olav
08-05-2013, 09:33 AM
What would be real interesting to learn is if the hardware used is of standard dimensions. Will upgrades be possible without having to route and drill sand and whatnot? In other words, how upgradable is it?

Jesse
08-05-2013, 10:50 AM
I guess we can try to find out lol, the nut appears very standard in dimensions. That should be an easy upgrade (but probably not a necessary one). Tuners are interchangable. The trem would need to be measured to really know, but it looks like a standard run of the mill squared off floyd copy.

Olav
08-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Do you own calipers? Appearances can be deceiving you know. This guitar appears to be an Ibanez. It's not. That nut appears to be regular size... is it really?

Jesse
08-05-2013, 12:41 PM
I don't have any real measuring tools, I'm just eyeballing it and using a tape measurer. I'm more inclined to just block the trem, though, and worry about the pickups. Pots aren't scratchy and are pretty responsive, so no need to swap electronics at this point.

beneharris
08-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Jesse, if you're gonna be doing anything like that calipers are awesome to own. For $10 at harbor freight, they are invaluable.

Olav
08-05-2013, 02:11 PM
J I know you don't need to swap anything out but it would be some great info to have

Jesse
08-05-2013, 02:13 PM
I'm up for measurin'

Olav
08-05-2013, 02:20 PM
You da mayng

TheHeroCycle
03-03-2014, 07:20 AM
Jesse, I'm thinking about having this company make me a new death warrior since I have been unable to contact DethHead. I need your opinion about the neck because I am not sure if I should get their neck thru body or order a bolt on and get a custom warmoth neck later. Which do you think is the better option?

Jesse
03-03-2014, 07:49 AM
The fretwork was nice, the neck profile was close to my LPJ more than anything. It is not a Wizard profile. Maybe comparable to a schecter neck?

Finalformsora3
03-03-2014, 07:58 AM
Wow! I was surprised when I saw this video I was looking at this place 5-6 months ago but was unsure if it was true... I was way too worried but you helped me get over that. Killer guitar btw! How long did it take to get that beauty?? Is the build time 2-6 months on these Jesse??

Jesse
03-03-2014, 08:00 AM
IIRC it was about 3 months? It is a total custom build, so yeah it will take a while!

MT8baller
11-07-2014, 07:29 PM
IIRC it was about 3 months? It is a total custom build, so yeah it will take a while!

Any updates on this guitar?

lostinthemasses
11-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Pretty sure it got sold months ago.

MT8baller
11-07-2014, 08:21 PM
going through the search function I found he indeed sold it months ago. I just ordered one and was curious if he ever upgraded it or did the measurements talked about earlier. I have a couple pickups laying around and thought a quick Ebay transaction might save some headaches with the floyd.

lostinthemasses
11-07-2014, 08:53 PM
Ok, here's what I'd do:

-Buy all new pots, pickups, and a Switchcraft output jack.

-Buy a set of decent tuners, I'd suggest Sperzel.

-Buy a Gotoh Floyd Rose.

-Have a tech do a fret level and dress along with a basic setup when you receive the guitar

That should solve most of the problems you'll run into.

MT8baller
11-08-2014, 09:16 AM
Well, a tech that could do that stuff is 200 miles away. The tuners don't bother me much because it's a locking trem. I'll have to check out the floyd. I have had the real thing and copies down to the washburn 600s. I can't say I have any real trouble with them. But I posted here asking because I was curious if Jesse had replaced the bridge or at least measured it incase it came down to that. A pickup upgeade is definitely on the list.

I have to travel 55 miles for McDonalds

Jesse
11-08-2014, 09:26 AM
I never measured anything. I had no problems with the tuners and I didn't use the floyd once. I thought that the fret work was nice enough, though. They so surprisingly good work for what you're paying.