PDA

View Full Version : Spammerbots

Jesse
07-03-2009, 02:43 AM
Hey everyone, I noticed a recent influx of spam bots lately and I have been trying to be as diligent as possible in deleting/banning. I went through the vbb options and selected what seems to be a better verification tool so hopefully this can put an end to the annoying jerkoffs.

Jesse

Olav
07-03-2009, 07:05 AM
...put an end to the annoying jerkoffs.

Jesse
Does this mean I am not welcome on LGT anymore? :p
Seriously though, I've noticed an increase in jerkoffidity on several forums I frequent. Just the guitar orientated ones though, my Sweden forums have been spared till now. Fingers crossed.

SouthpawGuy
10-24-2009, 05:08 AM
There seems to be a lot of spammers / spam bots lately :confused:

AllroyPA
10-24-2009, 05:55 AM
There seems to be a lot of spammers / spam bots lately :confused:
I wish their creator an untimely demise! :dimebag:

Olav
10-24-2009, 07:06 AM
There are ways of keeping at least spambots at armslength, our trusted admin will know how to. This could take a lot of doing though and admin might feel it easier permabanning each of these motherf... oops; guys that dig their mom to the extreme, as they present themselves. More often than not these jokers use just the one IP-address, so the ones presenting themselves here aren't likely to return once permabanned.

AllroyPA
10-24-2009, 09:05 AM
I was permibanned throughout the 80's and 90's .... 8 P

Olav
10-24-2009, 10:17 AM
You mean perm-banned;
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_iOhV7e-jjN8/RnLmoOSAaNI/AAAAAAAAAKs/ApKvszgRRMs/s1600/spector.jpg
as you should have been!
:eek:

Jesse
10-24-2009, 01:18 PM
There are ways of keeping at least spambots at armslength, our trusted admin will know how to. This could take a lot of doing though and admin might feel it easier permabanning each of these motherf... oops; guys that dig their mom to the extreme, as they present themselves. More often than not these jokers use just the one IP-address, so the ones presenting themselves here aren't likely to return once permabanned.

We use a verification program, but it clearly isn't working. I check the board about 25 times a day, and just perma-ban every spambot (and their IP address) on sight. I'm not sure what other options there are, kinda annoying eh?

Olav
10-24-2009, 01:40 PM
The more 'sophisticated' bot reads and writes it's way around the verification most forums use. You might wanna take a look at the way the guys at mosriteforum.com handle things. It's a lot of work, but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than checking the board 25 times a day.

Jesse
10-27-2009, 02:09 PM
I just tried changing the human verification manager to a Q & A, let's see if that will work.

Olav
11-14-2009, 09:32 AM
It's getting ridiculous...

SouthpawGuy
11-14-2009, 09:36 AM
It looks like the invasion of the spammer bots at the moment.

Olav
11-14-2009, 10:36 AM
exactely the term I used in my PM to Jesse.
We really need to pull together on this and find a way to keep these lowlives on the other side of the treshold. Boards die of this disease... Don't wanna see that happen here.

Jesse
11-14-2009, 12:14 PM
I just switched the registration over to where I have to personally accept each person that comes here before they post. I really didn't want to be like that, but it looks like we have no option. Hopefully this will work.

Don't worry guys, I'll figure this out I promise

SouthpawGuy
11-14-2009, 01:01 PM
I just switched the registration over to where I have to personally accept each person that comes here before they post. I really didn't want to be like that, but it looks like we have no option. Hopefully this will work.

Don't worry guys, I'll figure this out I promise

Maybe check this out, it might help ?

http://www.spamhelp.org/harvesterkiller/

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html

Olav
11-21-2009, 04:59 AM
The new methods seem to be paying off Jesse!

Olav
03-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Every now and again I see this okuggboots come online. His/her/its status says Banned, yet the indicator says he/she/it is online... WUT?

Jesse
03-07-2010, 03:40 AM
Every now and again I see this okuggboots come online. His/her/its status says Banned, yet the indicator says he/she/it is online... WUT?

cannot post, the bot just logs in. Will never bother anyone as far as I can tell.

Olav
03-08-2010, 05:14 AM
Got that. I was just wondering how it could log on, seeing it's banned... Weird.