PDA

View Full Version : LGT Guitar Picks

beneharris
08-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Would anybody be interested in buying picks if I got some custom printed for the website?

Minimum order is 1 gross. So I need to sell them in sets of 12. If I get enough orders I'll do as many as come in. But I need to get people to at least commit that far.

We will create a list of what the popular picks on the board are. Probably going to end up with classics, jazz III's that sort of thing.

I plan to use InTuneGP, as another forum I post on has used them before, and they are excellent picks.

Cost will go down the more people buy/ more people commit, so before I get to far into pricing, just expect you'll be paying $5-8 for a dozen.

That is more expensive than you can go to the store and get some for, of course, but! You can't get LGT picks just anywhere. And on the positive side, this will be helping out with the bills immensely. The money that is taken from this - should there be any extra - will go to Jesse so some of the burden is taken off him.

Also, keep in mind that if we do more than 1 style of picks, we have to order a gross of those. So lets try to narrow it down to just a couple at first.

Once I get a sense of how many people are willing to commit, I'll open a poll up for types of picks, but I want to make sure there is even interest at this point.

cosmic_ape
08-25-2012, 01:48 AM
Oh man. I'll buy a dozen or two to support the initiative, but unless they're exactly what I play with, I don't think I'll be buying any more. I used to use Jazz III's almost exclusively until my teacher got me into Fender Jazz Hard picks. They are soooo tiny and thin, most people hate them. They have great tone and attack, though. I swear by them now.

I'd be down with Jazz III style ones. Just let us know what kind of material they are offering to make these of...

beneharris
08-25-2012, 02:02 AM
Thanks ape. I'll update the post tomorrow with all that info. I suppose I'll just give as much as I can right now and worry about the other poll later

Olav
08-25-2012, 05:30 AM
I'll have a bunch. I used to play Dunlop Tortex .60s. Gone up a bit to .88s now. Might go for 1mm eventually.
Let's see what you can get and what others prefer.

chilton
08-25-2012, 09:21 AM
I have all the picks I need. But if LGT needs my financial support, all you gotta do is ask!

metalchurch
08-25-2012, 12:07 PM
I use Dunlop Jazz ll picks, so if they were the same material,thickness, and size I'd buy some. This is gonna be hard to please everyone. I'd definitelt be down for some stickers or a t-shirt or hat. Or a long sleeve, cause Old Man Winter is on his way. Or maybe an LGT polishing cloth for to wipe my guitars down.
I'm sure that there are lots of guitar related items that could be printed with the LGT logo, and some of which are more or less 'one size fit's all' type of thing to where everyone would use them.

Blue Church2
08-25-2012, 01:02 PM
I only use Jazz III so if you can get those, I'd buy a dozen or more! Anything to help!

LeftyBlake
08-25-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm very picky (no pun intended haha) when it comes to picks so I don't know if I would commit. When the discussion comes up about what kind of picks to order, we'll see where I'm at.

BTW, have any of you guys used Cactus Picks? I know they've done some custom stuff for some people and IMO, Cactus Picks are the best picks I've ever used. The lights for acoustic are phenomenal and the heavies are awesome for electric.

http://www.greatbigmusic.com/

http://www.facebook.com/CactusPicks

beneharris
08-25-2012, 01:18 PM
I use Dunlop Jazz ll picks, so if they were the same material,thickness, and size I'd buy some. This is gonna be hard to please everyone. I'd definitelt be down for some stickers or a t-shirt or hat. Or a long sleeve, cause Old Man Winter is on his way. Or maybe an LGT polishing cloth for to wipe my guitars down.
I'm sure that there are lots of guitar related items that could be printed with the LGT logo, and some of which are more or less 'one size fit's all' type of thing to where everyone would use them.

that is one thing we have thought about, and will likely do. This was just a nice, easy, cheap thing to start off with. Printing costs, and plate fees for the hoodies, shirts and hats are quite a bit more. I'll look into it, though.

beneharris
08-25-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm very picky (no pun intended haha) when it comes to picks so I don't know if I would commit. When the discussion comes up about what kind of picks to order, we'll see where I'm at.

BTW, have any of you guys used Cactus Picks? I know they've done some custom stuff for some people and IMO, Cactus Picks are the best picks I've ever used. The lights for acoustic are phenomenal and the heavies are awesome for electric.

I'd never even heard of those. Googling now.

edit: they don't have a custom pick option on their site, I'll email them to see if they take orders. But intune looks like the better option thus far.

LeftyBlake
08-25-2012, 01:29 PM
I just got the email address for the guy who runs Cactus Picks, from a friend who has had some custom picks made for him, by them. It's worth asking.

IbanezGuy
08-25-2012, 02:54 PM
I exclusively play with Dunlop Nylon standards in .38 so if these are at least comparable to what I use I'll buy some!

Freezesuckah
08-25-2012, 04:07 PM
I voted yes. I'm not really partial to one pick and this forum is great so I'll throw down if you get them made.

beneharris
08-26-2012, 12:37 AM
I exclusively play with Dunlop Nylon standards in .38 so if these are at least comparable to what I use I'll buy some!

:jawdrop: Thats really thin. That's what she said.

But really, the smallest they offer is .50.

All of these picks we can choose from are made of delrin.

These picks are available in 8 gauges. .50mm, .60mm, .73mm, .88mm, 1.0mm, 1.14mm, 1.50mm and 2.0mm

I'm going to post up pictures of the offers. It seems so far like JazzIII are a good bet, along with maybe a more classic size. Seems like the general consensus is a lower thickness, probably closer to the .88mm on the classic size, and maybe someplace in the .73-1.0mm for the Jazz.

I'm rounding up some pictures now. I'll give you guys a bit to look them over and then open up a poll about the type. I have an email in to those cactus picks that LeftyBlake recommended so we will see what they come back with.

lostinthemasses
08-26-2012, 07:34 PM
i play dunlop gator grip .96 for a lighter pick/acoustic and a 1.14 for anything involving my band, if i were to buy a set of picks it would need to be no thinner than a .9 and super grippy

come to think of it, i bet something like a dava pick would suit all of us, because they have multiple thicknesses in a single pick

beneharris
08-26-2012, 07:46 PM
except the only problem with using a pick like that is you lose all feeling of what makes individual picks unique. Its just a giant, multi sided pick. Unless I'm thinking of something else? Also, the places I have been looking don't offer anything like that.

Jesse
08-26-2012, 11:07 PM
I like Fender regs, worn down for a while. I also used to love the little teardrop jazz picks. Either way, I'm down to get whatever the consensus is...a master craftsman never blames his plectrum!

lostinthemasses
08-27-2012, 12:34 AM
except the only problem with using a pick like that is you lose all feeling of what makes individual picks unique. Its just a giant, multi sided pick. Unless I'm thinking of something else? Also, the places I have been looking don't offer anything like that.

no dude, these are dava picks: http://www.davapick.com/

beneharris
08-27-2012, 01:07 AM
Ah I did have the wrong thing in mind. Thanks for setting me straight.

Blue Church2
08-27-2012, 01:38 AM
no dude, these are dava picks: http://www.davapick.com/

Those pick's are sweet looking man! I think I'm going to pick up a Jazz grip Nylon. Or something of that sort.

lostinthemasses
08-27-2012, 02:30 AM
my favorite is the master control with the nickel tip

LeftyBlake
09-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Any word from any of the contacted companies on getting us some custom picks?

If proceeds go towards helping this site in any way, I will buy some regardless of what type of picks they are. :rockin:

beneharris
09-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Any word from any of the contacted companies on getting us some custom picks?

If proceeds go towards helping this site in any way, I will buy some regardless of what type of picks they are. :rockin:

I have been in contact with Cactus picks like you suggested. He is mailing out some sample picks for me. The cost on those will be higher than if we went with Intune. So here is an update:

The plate fee for IntuneGP is $15, the plate fee for Cactus is $100. BUT, Cactus will charge about 1/4 of the price for each pick that intunegp will.

I wanted to get a sample of theirs, post up some pictures, and decide from there. If this will end up being a multiple run deal (which i would like it to be) cactus is THE way to go. The second run would be like $2 for a dozen picks. Really hard to beat for custom picks. First run, though, to spread the $100 plate fee, would end up $10-12 a dozen, as opposed to $6-8 a dozen for intune.

Not to mention I'm moving this week, so I haven't been able to give this the attention it deserves. Fear not, starting next week once I'm settled, I'm hoping to have the picks and move along with it!

And yes, this will help the site out :)

AllroyPA
09-04-2012, 08:13 PM
13 replys 2 no's and some maybe ... not too much buzz in this thread ben ...

Jesse
09-04-2012, 08:14 PM
we need a logo for them too. Allroy, hopefully now that summer is over people will be around more. I know I was barely home the last 2 weeks.

LeftyBlake
09-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Good news on Cactus Picks. I really think they are great picks. Let us know what you think of them, Ben.

IbanezGuy
09-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Well, good news is nobody plays geetar with their tongues......

beneharris
09-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I needed a fourth choice. Seemed appropriate :rolleyes:

CAFeathers
09-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Contact Vinni at V-Picks www.v-picks.com

Tell him I sent you.