PDA

View Full Version : Guitars with Jon Way announces LEFTY CONVENTION

JonWay
06-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Guitars with Jon Way announces the first Lefty Convention.
This event will take place in Plymouth, MA on Friday 2/1 through Sunday 2/3 which is the first weekend in February of 2013.

This will be a small intimate setting where we can share, listen, trade, buy, sell, and enjoy other fellow lefty collectors. The venue will be open to the Lefty Convention participants only for the whole weekend. Plan on bringing a selection of your collection with you.

The cost of the event will be $294 per guitarist with an option to bring a significant other for an additional $85. The fee will include 2 nights lodging, all meals, and an introduction cocktail party Friday evening. The intimate venue is located on the ocean and features an indoor pool and hot tub.

There are only 22 spots available for this first time event. FIRST COME FIRST SERVE.
A deposit of $100 will reserve your room and a spot in the convention. Itineraries will be sent to those depositing. PayPal: guitarswithjonway@gmail.com

Any questions, please use this forum.
Jesse will be informed as the numbers increase, and when we reach capacity.

This is going to be an awesome event. I'm in, so that leaves 21 spots available. Hope to see you there.

LeftyParasite
06-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Count me in for sure!! This is going to be a blast......

JonWay
06-12-2012, 09:00 PM
OK
Adam's in. That leaves 20 spots available.

ArrowHead
06-12-2012, 09:12 PM
What's the itinerary? What's actually involved?

I'd hate to drop $300 just to meet a handful of lefties and catch crabs in the pool at the John Carver or Governor Bradford Inn. Will there be lefty centric or local vendors? A place to play and demo gear?

Is this venture for-profit, or do tickets simply cover accommodations, function room, food, and materials?

JonWay
06-12-2012, 10:51 PM
What's the itinerary? What's actually involved?

I'd hate to drop $300 just to meet a handful of lefties and catch crabs in the pool at the John Carver or Governor Bradford Inn. Will there be lefty centric or local vendors? A place to play and demo gear?

Is this venture for-profit, or do tickets simply cover accommodations, function room, food, and materials?

This is the first convention of it's kind. We have secured the entire facility for our purposes which is to meet, share, trade, sell and converse with other lefty collectors. If you would like to meet 21 other lefty guitar players/collectors and share part of your collection while enjoying the collections of 21 other people then this is for you.

I'll be bringing 4 combo amps, and others will be providing amps as well. So plenty of stuff to play through. There may be a dealer in attendance, but I think the convention would be better served through private collections. The event is non profit, and covers the rooms, food, drinks, and materials.

cosmic_ape
06-13-2012, 02:48 AM
Is there a reason in particular for the chosen date, right in the middle on winter?

JonWay
06-13-2012, 05:39 AM
Is there a reason in particular for the chosen date, right in the middle on winter?

A couple of reasons. It's right after the NAMM show in January, and so any lefty dealer attending may have new product to show, and usually the winter weekends are free on a lot of people's schedule.
The other reason was to keep the cost down, as an oceanfront venue is pricey in the "good" season months. We chose this location also, because with this specific number of people we can literally take the whole place. No one without a lanyard and pass is getting in.

chilton
06-13-2012, 07:55 AM
I won't make it, but good luck!

JonWay
06-13-2012, 08:23 AM
I won't make it, but good luck!

I understand. I'll talk to Jessie about posting a bunch of pictures and possibly some videos from the event.

ArrowHead
06-13-2012, 11:00 AM
A few observations:

1) Give an itinerary. The idea that one must put a deposit to know what you've planned is strange. Especially if it's the first of it's kind, it makes it more important to explain EXACTLY what it is.
2) Disclose the venue. Far too many of the local seaside shitholes can be called "intimate", when in reality they're disgusting crack den motels in shitty neighborhoods. Putting a down payment on a room sight unseen is nothing I advise around here.

The complete lack of details makes me uneasy. I love meeting lefties, but I'm not going to spend money to drive down the street and see less guitars than are hanging in my living room while awkwardly talking with 10 dudes with nothing but their handed-ness in common. Now if there were some activities, demos, local vendors we could interact with, local attractions (musical), and some description of the facilities (where will you play? Can you fit 22 men and gear? Can you turn up? Will there be a drummer? PA? Is it a jam, a demo, or a show and tell?)

The idea is great, but the presentation isn't going to garner much interest without more information, I'm afraid.

MetalDaze
06-13-2012, 12:52 PM
A few observations:

1) Give an itinerary. The idea that one must put a deposit to know what you've planned is strange. Especially if it's the first of it's kind, it makes it more important to explain EXACTLY what it is.
2) Disclose the venue. Far too many of the local seaside shitholes can be called "intimate", when in reality they're disgusting crack den motels in shitty neighborhoods. Putting a down payment on a room sight unseen is nothing I advise around here.

The complete lack of details makes me uneasy. I love meeting lefties, but I'm not going to spend money to drive down the street and see less guitars than are hanging in my living room while awkwardly talking with 10 dudes with nothing but their handed-ness in common. Now if there were some activities, demos, local vendors we could interact with, local attractions (musical), and some description of the facilities (where will you play? Can you fit 22 men and gear? Can you turn up? Will there be a drummer? PA? Is it a jam, a demo, or a show and tell?)

The idea is great, but the presentation isn't going to garner much interest without more information, I'm afraid.

22 dudes....all with their left hands ready to play....in an intimate seaside setting with indoor pool and hottub. Sounds kind of romantic. :D

JonWay
06-13-2012, 02:28 PM
A few observations:

Lefty Convention
Dates: Friday 2/1/2013 ĖSunday 2/3/2013
Friday:
Check in: 3pm-7pm
Everyone receives a lanyard and pass. This is the only way into the building.
Iíll be checking guitars in with everyone for security purposes.
7pm: Introduction cocktail party. Beer and wine, soda, coffee, tea, pizza, snacks
A good ice breaker for the weekend
Saturday:
7-9: Continental Breakfast
9-12: Opening of rooms and introduction. Show and tell of instruments. I will be bringing 50 guitars from my collection, and I suggest no less then 6 with a cap of around 15 per guitarist. As we have the whole facility to ourselves that weekend, we have the foyer, the function room, and all the hotel rooms to view, play, and discuss guitars.
12: lunch - brought in sandwiches, chip, sodas, waters, coffee, and tea
1-2: finishing the introduction of guitars
2-6: Once everyone has seen all of the guitars, we can begin to trade, sell, buy, and enjoy more test driving of the instruments.
6-7: free time or getting ready for dinner
7: Dinner at Bertís Landing. We will have a private room and will enjoy a sit down dinner together. As this oceanfront restaurant is directly next to the Pilgrim Sands anyone can enjoy a drink or two without thinking about driving.
8:30 or so: A drummer and bass player along with PA system will be at our disposal for test driving guitars. My 50 will be available, and I hope others are feeling the same way. We have musicians and PA for the whole weekend, and with the different spaces available we could play if you wish most of the weekend.
Sunday:
7-10: Continental Breakfast
I would like to introduce a forum while we are there. Iíll discuss some of the topics with Jesse.
We can continue to play, trade and enjoy each others company until 2pm
2: Checkout
I hope you have the opportunity to participate in this hopefully annual event. We plan on having a couple of raffles, so a few of you will be leaving with case stands, etc.
I hope this sheds more light on the event and hope to meet you there.

JonWay
06-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Ohhh This could be an awesome Father's Day Gift.......hmmmm

SouthpawGuy
06-13-2012, 07:59 PM
I will be bringing 50 guitars from my collection

Raises eyebrows ..... :cheers: :rockin:

Blue Church2
06-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Lefty Convention
Dates: Friday 2/1/2013 ĖSunday 2/3/2013
Friday:
Check in: 3pm-7pm
Everyone receives a lanyard and pass. This is the only way into the building.
Iíll be checking guitars in with everyone for security purposes.
7pm: Introduction cocktail party. Beer and wine, soda, coffee, tea, pizza, snacks
A good ice breaker for the weekend
Saturday:
7-9: Continental Breakfast
9-12: Opening of rooms and introduction. Show and tell of instruments. I will be bringing 50 guitars from my collection, and I suggest no less then 6 with a cap of around 15 per guitarist. As we have the whole facility to ourselves that weekend, we have the foyer, the function room, and all the hotel rooms to view, play, and discuss guitars.
12: lunch - brought in sandwiches, chip, sodas, waters, coffee, and tea
1-2: finishing the introduction of guitars
2-6: Once everyone has seen all of the guitars, we can begin to trade, sell, buy, and enjoy more test driving of the instruments.
6-7: free time or getting ready for dinner
7: Dinner at Bertís Landing. We will have a private room and will enjoy a sit down dinner together. As this oceanfront restaurant is directly next to the Pilgrim Sands anyone can enjoy a drink or two without thinking about driving.
8:30 or so: A drummer and bass player along with PA system will be at our disposal for test driving guitars. My 50 will be available, and I hope others are feeling the same way. We have musicians and PA for the whole weekend, and with the different spaces available we could play if you wish most of the weekend.
Sunday:
7-10: Continental Breakfast
I would like to introduce a forum while we are there. Iíll discuss some of the topics with Jesse.
We can continue to play, trade and enjoy each others company until 2pm
2: Checkout
I hope you have the opportunity to participate in this hopefully annual event. We plan on having a couple of raffles, so a few of you will be leaving with case stands, etc.
I hope this sheds more light on the event and hope to meet you there.

Knowing this, I'll consider going, although I don't know my schedule for school and sadly, I might not be able to attend. I definitely would like to see pictures and videos of the show and tell.

IbanezGuy
06-14-2012, 01:23 AM
Sounds great, but sadly I won't be able to make it....

If you guys end up posting pics/vids of the event (and it looks like it was a success) then I'm sure the "second annual" convention will be even better. It would be cool if you could hire live entertainment (or maybe setup a clinic from a known guitarist *cough*Buckethead*cough*) for one of the nights....

At any rate I look forward to seeing the pics from the event. If it turns out awesome maybe I'll drag some of my collection up that way next time. Cheers Jon Way!

JonWay
06-14-2012, 10:55 AM
That white studio would be fun to check out

Blue Church2
06-15-2012, 01:02 AM
That white studio would be fun to check out

Yeah man, if I go, I'll bring my collection. She's a beauty to play and sounds killer! The ebony fretboard feels great as well.

Lefty Adams
06-15-2012, 09:23 AM
sounds wonderful Jon, if I were over there I would be there in a heartbeat, very hope it's a success and yes piccies and video please!!

LeftyParasite
06-15-2012, 03:46 PM
A few observations:

Why don't you research Jon Way. Once you do a bit of research, you will realize you are dealing with top shelf people and there will not be any need for the derogatory comments. It'll be nice to be around other left handed guitar players that are gear heads and will want to see other peoples collections that otherwise would never be able to be seen. I thought I had a decent collection which is somewhere around 17 or 18.... I see Johns....which is over 80 left handed instruments...that's the most left handed guitars I had ever seen in one room in my life. It was overwhelming and awesome. So the idea of 20 plus like minded left handed individuals getting together to display/show gear, jam, talk shop sounds like a pretty kick ass time to me and I am very much looking forward to being a part of it. Kudos to you Jon for putting this together for us lefties! It's about time.

Bob
06-16-2012, 07:01 AM
My daughter is going to college this fall so all my $ is gone for now so maybe next year. Thank you for the invite Jon! Sounds like a great time and yes pics and vids if possible.

JonWay
06-16-2012, 10:46 AM
My daughter is going to college this fall so all my $ is gone for now so maybe next year. Thank you for the invite Jon! Sounds like a great time and yes pics and vids if possible.

I understand Bob, one more year for my daughter and that's the third child for me. College tuition eats up a lot of guitar money. Lol

JonWay
06-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Hi guys. We now have a committment from DZmods for displaying and discussing hand built guitars, as well as custom mods.
There are three vids up on YouTube now showing some of DZmods projects on Guitars with Jon Way.

We have spoken to three lefty dealers and will post when we receive the confirmations of their participation , and what they intend to show.

ArrowHead
06-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Why don't you research Jon Way.

I'm aware of Jon, I've seen his gallery, and I've seen his video reviews.

I'm not sure why one must research an individual in order to get more information on an event that's happening in my back yard? How does having a huge collection make one better at organizing an event?

JonWay
06-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there. I hope it means a little more guitar time today :)

Bob
06-17-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm aware of Jon, I've seen his gallery, and I've seen his video reviews.

I'm not sure why one must research an individual in order to get more information on an event that's happening in my back yard? How does having a huge collection make one better at organizing an event?

I don't think this has to do with having more guitars. It has to do with someone taking the time to plan all this out. Takes time out of their family lives to do this this. Jon is the first one i have seen here take the bull by the horn and go for it so to speak. Thanks again Jon.

None of us really know each other (but i could be wrong) and we trade,buy, and sell guitars,amps,pedals etc.... with each other.

I hope this is a great success and there is one every year.

Bob
06-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there. I hope it means a little more guitar time today :)

Back at you Jon and to all the other fathers.

I haven't had time to play a guitar in months and i sneak time to do this. Off to go mow my yard and fix a few things around the house..............i still need to plug in that commie red Dano U2ri!

ArrowHead
06-17-2012, 04:46 PM
I don't think this has to do with having more guitars.

I don't either. I think it had to do with lack of DETAILS. Jon chose to give more. I was quite happy with that. But I get PM's and the above quoted comment about the size of his collection, like it has something to do with the details of the event, or lack thereof.

I might be critical, but I'm not exactly suggesting anything foolish or outlandish. More details! Let people research the venue! Consider it might not BE the best venue! Berts seems to be closed every other year. The sands is on the ocean, in February that means snow and COLD wet weather. There are NO nearby commercial airports (there's a small one in Plymouth if you have a private jet), and no nearby interstates. From Plymouth, the two nearest airports are close to an hour away. The nearest interstate is about 40 minutes away. So if you fly in and take a cab, you're already looking at crazy money before you pay your $300.

Meanwhile a rehearsal studio space would be closer to the interstates, airports, accommodations, and would only cost a few hundred dollars for the entire weekend. Leaves that $300 free for much nicer accommodations. You could book a block of rooms near some nightlife, and rent a van for the day for transportation back and forth.

I know you guys really want to hate me, but I wouldn't have spoken up at all if I didn't love the idea - I just didn't love the execution. I may not be the lefty guitar collector Jon is, but I have a long history of knowing how to throw a party. Would you rather walk in the snow to the nearby bar that may or may not be open... or get a room in Boston for the night, with a day at a fully equipped rehearsal studio with security, and at night a trip into the city to experience some fun?

Plymouth, pardon my french, sucks gigantic balls. I'm just looking out for my fellow lefties, and trying to help Jon plan an event that doesn't get a bunch of "sounds great but..." responses.

I prefer "LEFTY CONVENTION! CHICKS! GUNS! FIRETRUCKS!"

I guarantee Jessie would be there.

JonWay
06-17-2012, 08:17 PM
I don't either. I think it had to do with lack of DETAILS. Jon chose to give more. I was quite happy with that. But I get PM's and the above quoted comment about the size of his collection, like it has something to do with the details of the event, or lack thereof.

I might be critical, but I'm not exactly suggesting anything foolish or outlandish. More details! Let people research the venue! Consider it might not BE the best venue! Berts seems to be closed every other year. The sands is on the ocean, in February that means snow and COLD wet weather. There are NO nearby commercial airports (there's a small one in Plymouth if you have a private jet), and no nearby interstates. From Plymouth, the two nearest airports are close to an hour away. The nearest interstate is about 40 minutes away. So if you fly in and take a cab, you're already looking at crazy money before you pay your $300.

Meanwhile a rehearsal studio space would be closer to the interstates, airports, accommodations, and would only cost a few hundred dollars for the entire weekend. Leaves that $300 free for much nicer accommodations. You could book a block of rooms near some nightlife, and rent a van for the day for transportation back and forth.

I know you guys really want to hate me, but I wouldn't have spoken up at all if I didn't love the idea - I just didn't love the execution. I may not be the lefty guitar collector Jon is, but I have a long history of knowing how to throw a party. Would you rather walk in the snow to the nearby bar that may or may not be open... or get a room in Boston for the night, with a day at a fully equipped rehearsal studio with security, and at night a trip into the city to experience some fun?

Plymouth, pardon my french, sucks gigantic balls. I'm just looking out for my fellow lefties, and trying to help Jon plan an event that doesn't get a bunch of "sounds great but..." responses.

I prefer "LEFTY CONVENTION! CHICKS! GUNS! FIRETRUCKS!"

I guarantee Jessie would be there.

I have to thank ArrowHead for getting some of the details out. Without an Itinerary to understand what it's all about many questions would arise. Hopefully the Itinerary, and the new posts of more luthiers and lefty shop owners agree to participate Saturday, we can all see the picture clearly of what a cool weekend this will be.
In the last few months LeftyParasite and I have gotten together to chat, trade, and experience each other's guitars. The experience has left us both wanting more than a few hours each time we have met, and I know with 22 of us together the Convention will be that same kind of experience.

JonWay
06-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Chris Walsh will be attending the Lefty Convention. Chris builds and sells handmade archtops. Just had a chance to play one this evening. Solid wood. No laminates. What a beauty. He also builds his version of a strat with ebony boards and birdseye maple necks.

Blue Church2
06-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Chris Walsh will be attending the Lefty Convention. Chris builds and sells handmade archtops. Just had a chance to play one this evening. Solid wood. No laminates. What a beauty. He also builds his version of a strat with ebony boards and birdseye maple necks.

Youtube videos soon on them?

JonWay
06-28-2012, 03:20 PM
We are shooting new videos in August, but I don't think we're doing any for Walsh guitars at the moment. Chris does have a couple of YouTube vids up showing his two most popular style guitars.

Blue Church2
06-30-2012, 01:16 AM
I'll check them out, thanks for that. Would you be able to leak the guitars you will be shooting the videos on?

JonWay
07-01-2012, 09:07 AM
I can say we'll be doing a Gaskell Lefty Bass, and an O'Hagan twenty two. That was their Flying V in the early 1980s. Three more too

JonWay
07-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Kevin Gaskell of Gaskell Guitars, the left hand guitar manufacturer from down under will be attending the Lefty Convention. I'll see if I can get a list of which guitars he will be bringing along.

JonWay
11-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Hello my fellow Lefties. Hope everyone in the US had a nice Thanksgiving, and everyone else a nice weekend. Status on the Lefty Convention: We have pulled the plug on the Feb 2013 Convention as we had 7 in all confirmations, and we needed 22 to take the whole hotel. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, so if anyone has ideas such as location, season, or dates that may increase our chances of getting the most Lefties together in one place, please reply. We would like to try this again.
Thanks
Jon