PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on minimum post count?

thepylestory
05-07-2012, 04:31 PM
What are the thoughts on a minimum post count to participate in the classifieds?

MetalDaze
05-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Seems to work well over on sevenstring.org. I'd support the idea.

Doc Rorick
05-07-2012, 07:14 PM
sho nuff +1

SouthpawGuy
05-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Sounds good.

cosmic_ape
05-07-2012, 08:22 PM
I agree.+1 from me

beneharris
05-07-2012, 09:06 PM
I think that would be a good idea although we would need to be realistic and keepit somewhat low

thepylestory
05-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Jesse, Olav, any thoughts on this? I only bring this up do to recent events in the classifieds. I also agree with keeping it somewhat low say around 50.

Mr.9 Fingers
05-07-2012, 11:24 PM
I'm kind of with it and against it at the same time. I think 25 is a more reasonable number. This is still a relative small and slow moving forum compared to a lot of the other more popular forums out there. So 50 could take awhile and that's not really stopping anyone from posting 50 BS posts just to get into the classifieds. In the end, it's just that much more work for Olav and Jesse. IMO, if you want to go that route, it would almost require another moderator to clean up the crap. I'm all for more participation but at what cost.

You might run into something like someone from another forum like The Gear Page, HC, or the SDUG that has done several transactions, has references, stellar ebay/paypal profile etc..., but now has to wait to possibly get the guitar of his/her dreams or sell someone the guitar of their dreams. Meaning either way someone misses out because of a minimum post requirement. At the end of the day whether it's 25 or 2,500 posts, you should cover your bases anyway regardless of post count. I just did a deal with Numerical. A pretty new member. He paid promptly with a money order and his guitar is in the mail. A post count requirement would have prohibited our deal.

So it has it's ups and downs. At this point, I'm seeing more downs than ups.

beneharris
05-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Good point Brent. What I'd we required some sort of references from newer posters it people wanting to sell in general? That would put peoples minds at ease fire sure. Something like Ebay or itrader from another forum maybe?
Having itrader feedback over on sevenstring works real well for that sorry of thing

Ronin05
05-08-2012, 09:42 AM
I missed what brought this on but I'm not really for it. I for one generally don't post much on forums, but I do find them useful for information and other things like classifieds. If I'm looking to buy or sale something I personally don't care if the person has 0 or 1000 posts. I do try to be smart out buying though and thats the best anyone can really do.

I do however understand the need to keep out spam and abuse but that is always going to more or less be a manual process with the community itself policing it.

ThaBassment
05-08-2012, 10:30 AM
It would certainly make people spend more time participating in the forum and not just able to join up right away and try to steal money from other forum members. You'd be able to tell if people posted spam messages just to get to the 25 to be able to get to the ability to sell. But I don't really like the idea. It will hurt people who are legitimate, and if they could still see the "for sale" forums but not post in them, then thieves could PM people with "deals" that no one would be able to call them out on. I'm more for just severe scrutiny by all members on every "for sale" post. But if this definitely going to happen, 25 might be too high, or it might be ok. If it works on other forums, then ok. Don't really know how to feel about this one.

chilton
05-08-2012, 11:38 AM
I lurked here for a while before signing up to start a WTB thread for a certain Les Paul and I appreciated the possibility to do so without posting x amont of times first. Maybe somebody here will sell me his or her Custom after I've hit 100 posts!

Seriously. I wouldn't mind a minimum post requirement. But 50 posts seems a bit much, especially for forum members whose command of the English language may be below average.

LeftyBlake
05-08-2012, 02:55 PM
I also agree with keeping it somewhat low say around 50.

While 50 isn't a really high number, we all know this is a pretty slow forum (after all, we are a very small minority in the music arena) and getting 50 posts can take a while. I'm somewhere in the 350 range and I've been here for more than two years. For this forum 50 is a bit high, in my opinion.

And another point to consider; if you make a minimum post count, do you think this would cut down on our potential to find and buy guitars? If someone can't sell something here because they are forced to get X number of posts, they might not even bother, which means one of us could miss out on a good guitar. And making a minimum post count doesn't necesarily mean that new members will participate. It might help, but it may also increase the BS posts.

I'm all for a minimum post count, of like 15 or 20 or something. Of course, you should ALWAYS ask for references, unless it's someone who you deem to be reputable. Be it an eBay account, another forum, etc etc.

62LeftyBlues
05-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Leftyblake & ThaBassment covered most of it. I would have to say I am probably like many people here that I found this website because I had a guitar I wanted to sell or trade. The only way to post was to sign up and I did. Granted I did not ever sell that guitar here but I found a community of like minded people that loved lefty guitars and shared opinions and advice. That fact alone brings me back over and over. Since then I have traded a few guitars and bought and sold parts and such and have gotten to know some people that I can now refer to as friends. We have all seen the noobs that sign up and post and disappear (and sometime annoyingly never check their PMs which could have sold their guitar!!!), but to see the growth of this website and how many people are getting involved over the past 2 years has been great. Keep on growing.
I think the way things are now works and separates LGT from the other websites.
Thanks Jesse, Olav, LGT staff and members!

Jesse
05-11-2012, 05:07 PM
I don't see a need for it at this time, but the option is always there. I would hate to limit guitars available to us, and I think something like that may end up doing just that. Plus, some people are just shy

Olav
05-12-2012, 06:09 AM
I have only one thing to add and that is; CAVEAT EMPTOR

thepylestory
05-12-2012, 10:47 PM
its all good it was just a thought to protect.

Bob
05-12-2012, 10:56 PM
I don't see a need for it at this time, but the option is always there. I would hate to limit guitars available to us, and I think something like that may end up doing just that. Plus, some people are just shy

ya i agree to a point but some people just seem to come here to sell a guitar (lately and in the past) and never come back too...?

LeftyBlake
05-12-2012, 11:45 PM
ya i agree to a point but some people just seem to come here to sell a guitar (lately and in the past) and never come back too...?

But, can you blame them? With eBay and PayPal ludicrous fees and no other good way to find fellow lefties, this place provides a good way to sell. And as I said before, limiting people's ability to post here may mean less of an opportunity for us who want more guitars.

Olav
05-13-2012, 02:00 AM
its all good it was just a thought to protect.

Your thoughts and concerns are appreciated, don't get me wrong. It's just that a minimum post count will not prevent anyone from getting burned. IMHO.

thepylestory
05-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Very true.

Razzlejett69
11-05-2012, 10:39 AM
I support the idea, in a way. 25 still seems high. I'm on here everyday and I don't post much. I use forums mainly for asking questions and informational purposes. I think some kind of reference system woul be great. Maybe eBay, and we definitely should consider a seller, buyer feedback system. But it would be hard to do since transactions aren't placed through the site, which would make it based on the honor system, maybe between 2 members and an admin. which then people could team up and cheat their way to the top. Hard to say. I don't have the solution as of yet

beneharris
11-05-2012, 12:02 PM
I support the idea, in a way. 25 still seems high. I'm on here everyday and I don't post much. I use forums mainly for asking questions and informational purposes. I think some kind of reference system woul be great. Maybe eBay, and we definitely should consider a seller, buyer feedback system. But it would be hard to do since transactions aren't placed through the site, which would make it based on the honor system, maybe between 2 members and an admin. which then people could team up and cheat their way to the top. Hard to say. I don't have the solution as of yet

to answer a few of your points:

We feel that the classifieds are hardly abused. As of now, we can't think of a good reason to put up a minimum post count, as that would only hurt the classifieds section at this point. If we ever get 15,000 members posting in the classifieds like SS.org, then sure, we'll look into it. But right now, that will just severely limit our selection..

Feed back system-
we have one built into the website. iTrader is what its called.
http://www.leftyguitartrader.com/forum/announcement.php?f=8
I and the other admins have access to delete and monitor feedback. I have it set to where if people leave too many for one person, or too many in a day, it fires off an email to me letting me know the system is being abused. Its a pretty thoroughly thought out system.