PDA

View Full Version : How would you like your YouTube gear reviews?

cosmic_ape
04-03-2012, 11:31 AM
After years of watching gear reviews on Youtube, I have come to appreciate and learn from many styles of reviewing. But I wanted to ask the sinister community of doom (that's you guys) what they'd benefit most from when it comes to watching online reviews:

EDIT: Videos added from various reviews on the tube. I tried to find videos about the same product. The categories do overlap a little bit, but I think those videos DO have different points of view!

A. Thorough verbal recap of the item's features, along with personal impressions and playing.

http://youtu.be/4bcWI3fcB24?hd=1

B. Written recap of features (on video's description), verbal impressions, more playing.

http://youtu.be/-I36gX8MrTg

C. All info written, added captions on screen while only playing through the entire video.

http://youtu.be/s9CNX26NfQQ?hd=1

What do you guys think?

Doc Rorick
04-03-2012, 12:42 PM
I think the reviews will be great however you format them -- there's definitely a different kind of utility for each option.

Someone who has never owned/used a delay pedal, for example, might really benefit from option A, while someone thoroughly familiar with the use of delay and is considering purchasing the pedal you're reviewing would prolly get most bang for their time from C.

So, I guess I'll cast a vote for what's behind door B.

Can't wait to check 'em out!

Olav
04-03-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm with Doc. B is the way to go. I see a lot of reviews where the guy yaps on and on for 5 minutes, then plays for 8 seconds and signs off. What use is that? All playing and no personal notes is wrong too. IMO
Have you thought of a signature tune for the reviews? I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Jesse
04-03-2012, 04:46 PM
how would mine be classified?

cosmic_ape
04-03-2012, 05:25 PM

I'd say yours would be in category A. Thorough descriptions of features, personal observations and playing at the end.

Olav
04-04-2012, 10:25 AM

I agree with the Ape. Your's are chuck full of info. Then playing on all positions, both clean and dirty.
While I think yours are way better than some reviews out there, I like the emphasis to be on the guitars' sounds.
Some reviewers lead into the video with some sounds, that's what I like to see/hear.
But you can't please all the people all the time.

cosmic_ape
04-04-2012, 12:46 PM
I have added reviews of the Rockbox Boiling Point overdrive pedal to this thread to illustrate how a single pedal gets reviewed on the tube, in all threes styles. In this case, a comprehensive, thorough review seems to benefit it the most, because of all its features and versatility.

cosmic_ape
04-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Some reviewers lead into the video with some sounds, that's what I like to see/hear.

When I get to make the reviews, I will definitely do this! Maybe a minute of solo playing, or so...

Blue Church2
05-05-2012, 12:34 AM
I think A would be awesome, and on the description, have a cue for a final "quick" overview then into playing so that way it might satisfy more people. I personally love all the info I can get even if I have the product. You never know what you don't, right?

cosmic_ape
05-12-2012, 01:37 AM
I think A would be awesome, and on the description, have a cue for a final "quick" overview then into playing so that way it might satisfy more people. I personally love all the info I can get even if I have the product. You never know what you don't, right?

Duly noted