PDA

View Full Version : Unread posts timeout period ?

SouthpawGuy
01-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Not sure if I've worded the title of this correctly but can the unread posts timeout period on the forum be extended ?

Reason being if I visit the forum today and only read a couple of the new posts when I visit the forum again tomorrow all of the unread posts from yesterday are marked as read even though I haven't read them. The volume of traffic is a bit low on the forum lately and it makes it seem even more so.

Also a new for sale thread will easily go unnoticed because it will be marked as read if not viewed on the same day as it's posted. For example a thread in the bass for sale area at the moment is from last August, but I've never seen that thread before.

On some forums the timeout time on threads is infinite, i.e. a post will always be marked as unread until it is actually viewed.

Not sure if I've explained that properly but you get the idea.

Jesse
01-24-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm going to see if I can find that setting right now, I've never seen it before though...but I'm an idiot so I don't doubt that it is there

Jesse
01-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Are you using the newest version of your browser?

SouthpawGuy
01-25-2012, 04:33 AM
Are you using the newest version of your browser?

I'm on Firefox 9 the most recent one.

Olav
01-25-2012, 05:52 AM
I'm on Chrome, experience the same 'problem'.
Infinite time out would be nice.

Jesse
01-25-2012, 08:43 AM
I looked at every option and didn't see anything. I even tried googling it and checking the vbulletin forum. Will check again today after I get back to the officer from court.

SouthpawGuy
01-25-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm on Chrome, experience the same 'problem'.
Infinite time out would be nice.

It's not really a problem, just a minor PITA :D :banger:

SouthpawGuy
08-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Any update on this one ? It would be nice if unread posts remained that way until read. As it is at the moment all posts are marked as read even if only a couple of unread posts are actually viewed.

LeftyBlake
08-08-2012, 05:00 PM
I have the opposite problem, actually. I can read all the posts, and post new ones, then come back two hours later and none of them are marked as read, or all my posts are unread. Really kind of annoying, but it's not a big deal.

beneharris
08-08-2012, 05:44 PM
I'll look into this. didn't realize people were having troubles with it.

I'll post up when I get a chance to look into it.

It *should* be cookie based. So when you read a thread, it checks it off. But its possible that for some reason that setting is botched

LeftyBlake
08-08-2012, 06:57 PM
It *should* be cookie based. So when you read a thread, it checks it off. But its possible that for some reason that setting is botched

I figured as much. I seem to have some issues with cookies and FF. I go to one other guitar forum that has the same problem, so I assumed it's a problem on my end. Any idea on how to deal with it on my end?

beneharris
08-08-2012, 09:26 PM
try deleting your internet cache and cookies. should help

SouthpawGuy
12-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Any update on this ?

I'm sure I've missed a few for sale or wanted posts because the forum software says I've read them when I haven't.

beneharris
12-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Where are you viewing them from? I can't replicate what you're describing. Are you looking for the threads at the forum main page? So when you look at each individual forum, it shows no unread posts? or is this over on the "what's new" page?

SouthpawGuy
12-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Never use the what's new page. For example if there are ten unread threads when I first look at the forum in the AM and I only have time to look at five, the remaining five should stay highlighted as unread, but they don't. So I might never see those. I don't visit the for sale area every time so a lot of those have gone unnoticed, one that stands out was the yellow Sabre, only noticed it was for sale months after it was first posted and in the meantime I'd bought another RG.

beneharris
12-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Got it. Let me play around and see if there is anything I can do for you. :wave:

SouthpawGuy
12-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks

beneharris
01-01-2013, 01:37 PM
SPG, i'm trying some new things with this today, will you let me know if you see a difference over the next couple days?