PDA

View Full Version : Schecter C-7 Blackjack

Jesse
01-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Alright, so I finally got my 7 string. I have to say, I am absolutely impressed this this model. Rundown of the specs is as follows:

Mahogany body, maple neck (through body), rosewood fretboard
26.5 inch scale, 24 frets
Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge
Seymour '59 in the neck
Push/pull coil tap for both pickups
3 way pickup selector
2 volume, 1 tone
Locking tuners
TonePros locking Tune-O-Matic bridge
Pearl binding on the body and headstock
Blackjack card 12th fret inlay

So, the guitar is very nicely optioned for the price. I have never, ever touched a 7 string before so I am about 30 minutes into the experience as I am writing this.

The first thing I noticed (other than the quality features and hardware) was that the neck was thicker than the Ibanez Wizard that I am mostly accustomed too. It isn't thick, just thicker than my usual shred necks. The fretboard itself seems like a football field wide, definitely a new experience. The guitar is perfectly set up, and the action is ridiculously low.

Tonally, the JB gives you a pretty decent metal tone. I think this model now comes with Seymour Duncan Blackouts, which I hear are brutally metal. Either way, in standard tuning or drop C the guitar has a great bottom end. It is hard not to just sit around doing "chugga chugga chug chug" all day long on this thing.

While the guitar excels at rhythm, I still haven't gotten comfortable enough on it to really make it scream on lead. I get a little lost on the fretboard, but it's only been a few minutes. Regardless, it isn't quite speaking to me as much as the bottom end...but I didn't really buy this guitar to shred so I don't mind. I did notice, however, that the guitar seems to functionally be a 22 fret guitar. There is very, very poor access to the 23rd and 24 frets. Tapping only I suppose.

The clean tones are impressive as well. The JB is a little hot for silky clean, but the '59 in the neck sounds terrific. Add a little chorus to the mix and you can really play some moving passages, I love it.

Overall, I don't think you are going to do better for the price. If I was going to shred it up I'd probably go with an Ernie Ball JP7, but that guitar is nearly $2,000 more than this one. If you want to check out a 7, this is an excellent first stop.

Pictures will come this week, probably, in the guitar showoff section.

- Jesse

Jesse
01-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Put it on the front page as well with pictures, just figuring out how the site works

62LeftyBlues
01-22-2011, 06:00 PM
I picked up a 7 string chord book but gave it away when I sold the 7 string ESP/LTD I had. It is a different view seeing that B on top how to change chords. You can get a used copy from the amazon-

beneharris
01-25-2011, 02:38 AM
sweet! those blackjacks are great. i almost regret getting rid of mine. the JB is such a great pickup in that, too.

falkendrift
02-15-2011, 08:15 AM
I hope you don't regret it too much, since I do enjoy being the new owner.

Jesse, the new Blackjack ATX's come with the blackouts. As far as I can tell, the standard Blackjack line is discontinued. I kind of wish that I had gotten my hands on an 09 Blackjack with the card inlays at the 12th fret.

Jesse
02-15-2011, 08:34 AM
I hope you don't regret it too much, since I do enjoy being the new owner.

Jesse, the new Blackjack ATX's come with the blackouts. As far as I can tell, the standard Blackjack line is discontinued. I kind of wish that I had gotten my hands on an 09 Blackjack with the card inlays at the 12th fret.

I believe you are right. I'm still deciding if I like playing 7 strings, so you might be able to pry it out of my hands one day. ;)

saufen
03-12-2011, 10:47 PM
7 strings scare me.

Jesse
03-13-2011, 08:02 AM
I'm pretty useless on it, I need to learn some dream theater or something to get me going.

avb3
03-13-2011, 11:04 PM
learn 'dark eternal night'...its fun!

McCap
04-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Cool review!

I have a 006 Blackjack and it's an excellent guitar especially for the money!
I have the same problem...got myself a 7-string, used it a little in prog band and now after the band stopped I almost never play it, though it is fine guitar. I've come to the conclusion that 7 isn't really for me...

Jesse
04-26-2011, 05:44 PM
I'm inclined to agree, but I'm going to give it one more shot. I have barely touched it since I wrote the review lol