PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION:2011 Changes

Jesse
12-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Ok,

I have found someone who is going to help me move the site over to a faster/more reliable host. There may be a slight downtime in the process, but it shouldn't be more than an hour or two. Additionally, that same person will be giving the board a full upgrade and an entire site re-design. Please be patient if it takes some time, but we are definitely going to get it done!

Our first order of business is to transfer the site to the new host, the re-design will come shortly afterwards.

If anyone has any input for the re-design PLEASE chime in....now!

GodWentPunk
12-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Honestly, the design is fine. Things like colors and such are of personal preference. The thing that I like is that I can find stuff with ease. Now, the speed has always been an issue and very frustrating so anything you can do to give that a boost will be greatly appreciated.

joe....

Jesse
12-31-2010, 12:29 AM
Speed is definitely the #1 priority, that's why we're trying a new host. I want the board to also have several skins available so people have 2 or 3 color scheme choices to pick what best suits their eyes.

I also am going to have the whole site incorporated into one bundle. Now, the leftyguitartrader site is not really connected to the message board (the most used portion of leftyguitartrader). I want everything to be seamless and connected, it'll be cool I promise~!

Olav
12-31-2010, 04:03 AM
Can't wait to see what develops! Thanks.

AllroyPA
12-31-2010, 05:29 AM
I understand bold and bright is interesting at first, but earthtones and easy on the eyes is better long-term ... and stay away from bright whites as a main ... just my 2-cents ...

SouthpawGuy
12-31-2010, 06:32 AM
An alternative to the current colour scheme would definitely be most welcome, I'm finding the current one hard on the eyes.

Jesse
12-31-2010, 10:52 AM
An alternative to the current colour scheme would definitely be most welcome, I'm finding the current one hard on the eyes.

Me too. Looks really cool, but I always had trouble reading against a black background.

Skyless
12-31-2010, 12:42 PM
A lot of sites have various color schemes that are optional. I think that would be a good idea personally.

I still can't view anything in the gallery btw. Don't know if that has something to do with the site or if it's just me.

EDIT: I see the color thing has already been mentioned. My bad!

bob_amos
12-31-2010, 10:12 PM
I like this new design. There is one thing that might be of help to some of us and that would be the option to select the colours to customize the site. Some peoplemight have troubles reading with the black background.

Jesse
01-01-2011, 08:20 AM
keep the feedback coming, I will do my best use it all...happy new year everyone!

Jesse
01-05-2011, 02:10 PM
We are now on a new server, everyone poke around and see if everything is still there and working. Re-design is up next!

beneharris
01-05-2011, 03:13 PM
whoa, much quicker! i am liking the look of it now, good job :)

GodWentPunk
01-05-2011, 03:31 PM
MUCH....MUCH....Better----THANK YOU DEEPLY FOR ALL OF YOUR WORK ON THIS.

I do like the layout and over all appearance but I'm not 100% sold on the colors on certain parts. For example the "Page 2 or 2" and "First" tags are a little hard for me too see.

joe...

AllroyPA
01-05-2011, 07:25 PM
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades ~!( )-( )

62LeftyBlues
01-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Great job - super speed -easy to read!
\m/_(><)_\m/

Olav
01-06-2011, 02:43 AM
Great job, Jesse. Navigation is definitely quicker and it seems everything is there. Nothing got lost in the move I think.
Next I'll be checking the skins.

Olav
01-06-2011, 02:47 AM
I like the lefty white and blue better than the vB4default or the black. Still a bit bright though. Whining, I know. Move away from the screen, I know.
Kudos on a very quick move.

Olav
01-07-2011, 03:56 AM

edit: where do these backslahes come from? when I type a single quotation mark something adds a backslash
\' \'
They don\'t show up when I type, only after I hit Save.

SouthpawGuy
01-07-2011, 06:04 AM
Everything seems fine to me ....lets see how this reply works.

SouthpawGuy
01-07-2011, 06:05 AM

edit: where do these backslahes come from? when I type a single quotation mark something adds a backslash
\' \'

trying \"Reply with quote\" ....

================================================== ========

^^ I see what you mean now, the extra \' was added using the \"Reply with quote\" option.

AllroyPA
01-07-2011, 06:17 AM

\' \'
You are correct, worked before, I've used it already. But not working now.

Bob
01-07-2011, 09:12 AM
First time i can see the new place in 3 days. Going to take some gettin used to but good job so far Jesse :)

esteve
01-07-2011, 09:47 AM
First time i can see the new place in 3 days. Going to take some gettin used to but good job so far Jesse :)

Hey guys, I'm working on the site for Jesse -- is there a problem with new posts? If so, let me know what you are seeing. I'm not sure why the backslashes were suddenly introduced. I had the hosting provider disable a feature called magic quotes, so let's see if that fixes it.

Thanks for everyone's input!

SouthpawGuy
01-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Hey guys, I'm working on the site for Jesse -- is there a problem with new posts? If so, let me know what you are seeing. I'm not sure why the backslashes were suddenly introduced. I had the hosting provider disable a feature called magic quotes, so let's see if that fixes it.

lets see what it's like now ....

========

edit: looks fine now.

Olav
01-07-2011, 11:55 AM
I'll try this too.

edit: well that sure helped esteve. I'll see if New Posts works now.

Yep, it does. Thanks.

Nice work you're doing here.

Bob
01-07-2011, 02:55 PM

I don't see where i can click to get the last post of a thread when i get the last posts. I have to go to the page and scroll down to the last post.

Am i missing it somewhere?

I do like the choice of different forum styles.

Maybe add a chatbox on the home page of the forum?

McCap
01-07-2011, 03:30 PM
The site seems to have gotten faster. That is awesome as it quite often felt like being stuck before.

bob_amos
01-07-2011, 09:35 PM
I like it.. it's much nicer than I had expected. Really like the "what's new" option too. You have done a wonderful job Jesse. Thanks for all you do for us.

Olav
01-08-2011, 07:50 AM
I don't see where i can click to get the last post of a thread when i get the last posts. I have to go to the page and scroll down to the last post.

Am i missing it somewhere?

I do like the choice of different forum styles.

Maybe add a chatbox on the home page of the forum?

There's a small blue (in the skin I've chosen) rectangle with two white triangles or arrowheads to the right of the thread title. The same symbol as the one after the poster's name when quoted in an answer.

Jesse
01-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Steve, when you get a chance can you see what happened to our custom smileys?

esteve
01-09-2011, 12:14 PM
:thrasher:

Did I get them all back?

Bob
01-09-2011, 01:42 PM
yup they are all there now, thanks Steve :rockin:

A little small though on my 22" monitor.

Olav
01-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Now THATS what I'm talking 'bout!

ok I obviously dunno how to do that...

or do I?

Anyhoo, looks great! Keep the momentum going!
BTW Is PM system down or something?

esteve
01-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Added a Gallery Tab at the top to consolidate all user's albums. Jesse you can probably create your own GOTM album now as an archive?

Olav
01-22-2011, 12:14 PM
I absolutely love the blog-style front to LGT.com. Very attractive. Very accessable.
I'm guessing there was no time to fill it to the brim with older GOTM entries, but you will put up the whole history of GOTM will you?
Steve, PM sytem and warning flags work like a charm.
Kudos and kudos all round!

Jesse
01-22-2011, 12:54 PM
I created an album with all the past winners that I still had the photos for, phew!

Olav
01-24-2011, 03:03 PM
So everytime I log on there's another lefty guitar in the banner up top. Why not make those the winners for GOTM/GOTS?
That'd be a kick and some extra incentive to get that circus going!

esteve
01-24-2011, 05:14 PM
It's a good idea Olav - the main problem would be that photos put into the banner often need to have a clean white background in order to cut them out easily. Because photos for GOTM will be taken in many different settings, this could create a decent amount of work for whoever will be updating the site on an ongoing basis.

I'll talk to Jesse about it and maybe we can do something like it! Thanks for the suggestion!

Olav
01-25-2011, 03:00 PM
How clean would clean white be? Photostudio white or would a guitar set against the background of a white wall be OK? I mean workable.
In future maybe we ought to get GOTM winners to provide at least one pic on a white background?

esteve
01-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Hey Olav - maybe we can try to have members submit their guitars on a clean white background and I can try to make headers over time. The key is that the cleaner the white background the easier it is to cut out in photoshop.

Basically if the background is not clean, you cannot tell Photoshop to grab a single color and cut it out -- you have to trace around the whole guitar by hand. It doesn't necessarily have to be white, but the difference between the guitar and the background should be pretty contrasty -- for example, taking a photo of your guitar against a hardwood floor would be difficult to deal with. A solid color wall would be best...

Mr.9 Fingers
01-27-2011, 04:06 PM
A clean white sheet hung on a wall in a well lit room usually works pretty well. Obviously doesn't work well for white guitars, but....

The good thing is, white sheets are cheap!

Olav
01-28-2011, 07:28 AM
I noticed Steve has been doing some cutting and stuff, one of my guitars (Hagström SUS) is in the banner on top of the page! Or am I delussional? Same crooked why-donchu-cut-that-shit-off string across the fretboard pic... Nah, I'm not mistaking. Great stuff Steve! U DA MAN!

esteve
01-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Just checking to see who's paying attention...

Olav
01-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Huh? What?
I'll see if I can shoot a couple pics of the stable on a white sheet (as per 9fingers' suggestion) this coming week.

http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/image.php?u=662&dateline=1296238402
Gotta say you're a hansome devil sitting at your world domination dashboard there.

esteve
01-28-2011, 02:31 PM
:behindsofa:

I thought I'd post a picture so you didn't wonder what the webmaster looked like. I didn't want people thinking I was too much of a dork. :becky:

Yeah I did a test with one of your photos -- they are a little dark in general so I bumped up the brightness and contrast. In general the less shadows the better too...

Bob
01-28-2011, 02:39 PM
I thought I'd post a picture so you didn't wonder what the webmaster looked like. I didn't want people thinking I was too much of a dork. :becky:

Steve if you had a guitar (preferably a lefty ;) ) in your hands, no dorkness would happen :nod:

just kiddin of course

nordlav
02-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Good work on the site redesign! Some nice features added and easy to navigate. A+++
Thanks